If you forgotten a password for a server but you can still connect with WinSCP, which has the password saved. “Saved passwords are stored in a manner that they can easily be recovered.” (http://winscp.net/eng/docs/security)
You can recover password stored in WinSCP Session with the following steps :
1. See Log passwords and other sensitive information preference option. Then inspect the session log file to find the stored password. Open your WinSCP than tools>preferenses>logging
2. Check the box like the picture
3. Please try login to your server to create a session log.
4. Open the session log file by click date modified to get a new temp file.
5. Open the file with notepad, Than you can see your password stored 🙂
That’s why you should NEVER store your password to WinSCP session without using master password. Read more about security of stored credentials.
Remember, once you recover your password, change it to a new one, and DO NOT store it again!
If you want to continue storing your password, protect it by master password.